- Do you have poor posture from increased time in front of screens or looking down at personal devices?
- Do you spend more than 4 hours of your time at work or home on a computer?
- Do you suffer from pain in the neck, shoulders or upper back?
- Do you have headaches or pain and numbness down your arm?
- Are any of these symptoms worse when you drive?
- Have you ever been to physical therapy and had your therapist give you chin tucks as a home exercise?
As a physical therapist, I have spent countless hours helping people correct their forward head, and rounded upper back posture to decrease their neck, shoulder, headache, or upper back pain, only to have them return with the pain after a long car ride or driving errands around town.
The lumbar support in the front seats only gives postural assistance to the lower part of the spine, and actually ends up causing the thoracic region (or mid back) to sink further into the seat, while the head remains pushed forward by the head rest. This creates an "S" type curve in your spine with greater angles than nature intended. Pain is typically felt at the apex of the curves, or where they change directions.
The purpose of the Travel Buddy is to support the thoracic spine in alignment with the head rest and lumbar support. It also functions to support your shoulder blades, keeping them level with the outer wings of the seat. If your thoracic spine sinks back into the seat, your shoulders are pushed forward by those outer wings. This "rounded shoulder" position factors into all the diagnoses mentioned above, as well as being a key component to shoulder impingement and rotator cuff pain.
The Travel Buddy is effective for those who have headache, neck, shoulder, or upper back pain, especially while driving, as well as for those who want to prevent it in the future!
Again, please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions!
To your health-
Claire Little, MPT, owner and designer
Travel Buddy *patented design*